Back in the day, when we first played Magic: The Gathering in 1994, protecting cards wasn’t even a thing. We shuffled cards, threw them in boxes and played them hard. Who would have known they would be worth big bucks one day! So today we want to talk about the Best MTG Card Sleeves to protect our precious cardboard!
To protect and preserve the cards from wear and tear, damage, or bending, many players these days have resorted to using card sleeves. Card sleeves are crucial for maintaining the value and longevity of your collection and they also serve as a statement of personal taste and style since MTG sleeves come in many different colors and designs.
If the different colors and artwork wasn’t enough to think about, MTG card sleeves also come in various materials, sizes, and thicknesses, catering to the diverse needs and preferences of players. Whether you’re a casual gamer or a competitive player, the right card sleeves can enhance your playing experience and show off your personality by making your cards look super cool!
So, when choosing the MTG card sleeves, there are a bunch of things to consider. Whether it’s the material used, durability, shuffle feel, or design, sometimes it’s tough to figure out which sleeve is best. You have to weigh all these factors carefully to make sure that you select sleeves that not only protect your cards but also add to your gaming experience.
Oh, and what about how they fit your Magic cards? Yep, it is essential to ensure that the sleeves fit your MTG cards perfectly without being too tight or too loose, as the wrong sleeve can damage the cards or make shuffling difficult. To maintain the integrity of your cards, you always want to avoid using sleeves that don’t provide the optimal fit, as they can lead to unnecessary wear and tear over time.
So choosing the best card sleeves is not like closing your eyes and throwing a dart. There are definitely some things to think about for sure.
After examining a variety of MTG card sleeves and personally testing them all out, we have narrowed down our top picks to help make your choice easier. So let’s get to it!
You can read more about our top pick below, but it’s clear that DRAGON SHIELD makes some of the best card sleeves out there.
You cannot go into any local game store without finding stacks of those very recognizable Dragon Shield card sleeves. And for good reason as they consistently get great reviews and high marks from both players and collectors. Amazing – it’s like every deck wrapped in Dragon Shield is a testament to quality and durability.
Dragon Shield Standard Size Sleeves – Matte Jet 100CT
CARD SLEEVE BUYERS GUIDE – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Materials and Durability
When looking for the best MTG card sleeves, we must consider the materials and durability. Sleeves should be made of high-quality materials, such as polypropylene or PVC-free plastic, to ensure longevity and protection for your cards.
Thicker sleeves generally provide better protection, but they may also make it difficult to shuffle decks. We should look for a balance between thickness and ease of use.
Size and Fit
It’s essential that you choose the correct size sleeves for your cards. MTG cards come in a standard size for trading cards and it’s crucial to select sleeves specifically designed for them. Knowing the exact MTG card size (which is 63 × 88 mm or 2.49” × 3.48”) and the size of the sleeve you want to buy ensures that you choose sleeves that provide a snug fit.
Why should you choose a card sleeve with a snug fit?
It’s beneficial to have a snug fit without being too tight as this prevents the cards from slipping out of the sleeves during play. It also prevents dust and other materials from getting on your cards.
But be careful when it comes to sleeves that are TOO snug. You’ll often hear of cards bending or warping because the sleeves are too tight so definitely something to consider.
Design and Finish
Card sleeves come in various colors, artwork, illustrations, and finishes, such as matte or glossy. You should consider which type best suits your preferences and playstyle. Beautiful artwork and designs on the card sleeves can express your unique style and make your gaming experience more personalized and enjoyable.
Glossy sleeves might look more attractive, but they could be susceptible to fingerprint smudges and glare from overhead lights. Matte sleeves, on the other hand, may be easier to handle and shuffle. It really depends on your preference and what your intentions are.
For our purposes, we often use the standard playmats and we’ve found that most of the matte and glossy finish sleeves slide well on our playmats. If you use a different type of surface, you may experience something different. The good news is that in most cases you won’t be spending much money on these sleeves so if you make a mistake it’s not the end of the world.
Quantity and Value
You also need to consider the number of sleeves in a pack as well as the overall cost. Some packs may have a lower price per sleeve but require purchasing in larger amounts. While others might cost more but offer better quality and durability. It’s essential to weigh these factors and determine what offers the best value for your needs.
If you’ve got a humongous collection and you sleeve a lot of your cards, there are packs of 1000 or more that might be up your alley. Every situation is different so keep to your budget and buy what best works for your MTG collection.
Brand Reputation and Reviews
Finally, you should take the time to research different brands and read customer reviews before making a purchase. By doing so, you can get a better understanding of the overall quality, durability, and performance of the sleeves from other players’ experiences. In order to make a more informed decision when choosing the best MTG card sleeves for your collection, evaluating the credibility and reputation of the brand is essential. This can help you make a more informed decision when choosing the best MTG card sleeves for your collection.
When it comes to the best card sleeves out there, in our view Dragon Shield is clearly at the top followed closely by Katana and Ultra PRO. There’s a reason every local game store and most online stores carry these specific brands. They’re widely known for their quality and durability. You simply cannot go wrong with any of these brands.
TOP-RATED SLEEVES FOR EVERY USE
We have compiled a list of the best MTG card sleeves to protect your valuable collection and enhance your gaming experience. Let’s start with our personal favorite…
Best Overall MTG Card Sleeve
Dragon Shield Standard Size Card Sleeves – Matte Jet 100CT
These card sleeves simply KICK BUTT! We highly recommend these Dragon Shield Sleeves (as well as just about any other by this brand including the very popular Dragon Shield AT-13023 Smoke colored option) for their durability, appearance, and smooth handling.
- Durable and long-lasting
- Metallic matte black appearance
- Smooth handling for easy shuffling
- Can be slippery when new
- Some packs may contain an uneven number of sleeves
- Not suitable for smaller-sized cards (like Yu-Gi-Oh)
We’ve been using Dragon Shield Standard Size Matte Jet Sleeves for quite some time and we continue to be super impressed by their quality. The matte black finish has a metallic look to it, which sets them apart from other sleeves we’ve used in the past as well.
When it comes to durability, these sleeves really hold up. We’ve played countless games of Magic (and other TCGs like MetaZoo) with them, and they’ve remained in great condition. One thing we did notice was that the sleeves can be a bit slippery when new, but this issue improves over time as they become broken in with use.
Dragon Shield mattes provide smooth handling which from our experience makes shuffling and playing a breeze. They also work exceptionally well with black-bordered cards, creating a really neat illusion that there is no sleeve at all.
The bottom line is that these Dragon Shield Matte Jet Sleeves are simply fantastic! They offer durability, a sleek appearance, and comfortable handling, making them a must-have for any serious player or collector. And they come in a ton of different colors so there’s something for just about everyone!
A few things we read from people who purchased these sleeves that struck me were:
- “Some of the best sleeves out there.”
- “These are super durable and worth the price.”
- “Best Magic card sleeves period.”
- “This is the industry standard for card sleeves!”
- MATTE - Matte sleeves are our popular line of textured Dragon Shield with superior handling
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - A perfect mix of durability and shuffle-ability. The professor's #1 pick for card sleeves
- FIRMLY BUILT - This sturdy cardboard box fits 75+ single sleeved cards or 65+ double sleeved cards
Best Cheap Card Sleeves
Here are (3) best cheap card sleeves that we tested and think you will really like:
#1: Fabmaker Black MTG Card Sleeves 200 Pack
These Fabmaker Black Card Sleeves are an excellent option for protecting and enhancing your MTG card collection.
- Sturdy and designed for heavy play and shuffling
- Easy to shuffle with a textured back finish
- Various colors available to match your deck theme
- Limited color options on Amazon
- Not as popular as other top-tier brands
- Color may slightly vary from pictures
As MTG enthusiasts ourselves, we can confidently say that Fabmaker’s Black Card Sleeves are perfect for both collectors and players. The sleeves fit cards perfectly and provide a quality similar to Dragon Shield, which you know from reading above that we’re huge fans of.
What sets these card sleeves apart from some of the others is their textured back finish, which feels great and provides excellent grip during gameplay. This ensures that your deck is more manageable and doesn’t slide around during those intense MTG games at the kitchen table.
The Fabmaker Black MTG Card Sleeves come in various colors too so don’t limit yourself to just black. However, it is worth noting that the color options on Amazon are limited, so shop around and see what they have in stock if black is not your cup of tea.
Overall, these card sleeves have received several positive reviews, with users praising their durability and the textured back finish. The 200-pack provides excellent value for the money too making it ideal for those with extensive card collections who need a lot of sleeves.
All in all, we highly recommend the Fabmaker Black MTG Card Sleeves for anyone looking to protect their MTG cards whether you have new modern cards or vintage cards worth some bucks. The sturdy construction, ease of shuffling, and color variety make these card sleeves worth a look.
Some things we read from people who purchased these Fabmaker sleeves:
- “The sleeves fit perfectly & are good quality & color.”
- “These are surprisingly high quality similar to the likes of Dragon Shield sleeves.”
- “You could tell me these are Dragon Shield dual mattes, and I wouldn’t know the difference.”
- “Great Value and easy shuffling”
- Sturdy to Withstand Heavy Play & Shuffle: Excellent quality card sleeves, make sure you have no issue with them splitting or slipping when shuffling. Premium thickness mean better edges seal, never tearing, which is much thicker and sturdier than all other sleeves.
- Easy to Shuffle: Fabmaker mtg card sleeves are back-textured, have a nice grip to make the deck better manageable rather than sliding all over the place. Don't slip or stick together while stacked. Definitely shuffle great, feel great on the hand, can hold up to the large deck shuffling.
- Great for Collectible Cards: Perfect size for your game cards, Magic the gathering, Digimon, Pandemic, Exploding Kitten, etc. Great for shuffling, displaying and gifting. Fit double sleeved cards great and fit in the binders as well. Card Sleeves Size: 66.5×91 mm.
#2: HOMTHY Black Matte Finish Card Sleeves
These come in a plain black matte finish and are highly rated by most buyers on Amazon. With close to 1,800 ratings and 79% of them being 5-Star, that tells you a lot about what players and collectors think of Homthy’s sleeves.
We like the matte finish on these sleeves and like we mentioned before, there’s something to be said about simplicity in your decks. If you’re looking for a very well priced alternative to some of the big name brands above, these sleeves are definitely the ones we would consider.
- A generous package of 500 sleeves for a great price
- Made from sturdy, durable, and lightweight polypropylene material
- Acid-free and non-PVC composition protects against grease, grime, and liquids
- Scratch-proof, waterproof, dust-proof, and anti-bending features ensure maximal protection
- May not be the top choice for exceptionally high-value cards
- Not on par with premium brands like Dragon Shield in terms of quality
HOMTHY Sleeves strike a pretty good balance between protection and presentation. Your cards are not just safeguarded against the elements but display well in these sleeves as well.
With dimensions perfect for all 63mm × 88mm standard size cards, these sleeves are a universal solution for a wide range of collections, from sports cards to MTG and Yu-Gi-Oh!.
Some things we read from people who purchased these Homthy sleeves:
- “Better than Ultra Pro and almost as good as Dragon Shield”
- “While not the go-to for expensive MTG cards, they’re the perfect fit sleeves for low cost cards.”
- “The quality you get for the price is unmatched.”
- “In the world of budget sleeves, HOMTHY reigns supreme”
- 📍【Package Includes】5 packs and 100 penny card sleeves per pack, totally 500 counts. Perfect for all 66mm × 91mm standard size card sleeves
- 📍【Collection and Protection】Sturdy & durable & light weight & soft peeny card sleeves. Made from polypropylene materia, thinker and stronger than other sleeves
- 📍【Product Characteristics】Made from acid free and non -PVC, polypropylene material to collect and protect all against grease，grime and liquids. Keep your cards clear, safe and tidy
#3: BCW 500 Count Deck Guard BLACK MATTE
Step into a world where your prized cards are not just protected but are also handled with the elegance they deserve – introducing the BCW 500 Count Deck Guard BLACK MATTE Card Sleeves.
Tailored to fit 2½” x 3½” game cards, these sleeves are the armor your cards need and the style statement they deserve at a very cheap price!
- Clear, non-glare front ensures cards are easy to read
- Matte back for easy handling and shuffling
- Acid-free, archival safe, and no PVC ensures maximum card protection
- Sturdy material and strong seams for enhanced durability
- Not completely opaque, especially the lighter colors, which may not be ideal for tournament settings
- Not as durable as some premium brands
BCW’s mastery in card protection is epitomized in these Deck Guard sleeves. Firm yet easy to handle, they are engineered to offer corner-to-corner protection, ensuring each card’s condition is protected. The clear front enhances readability, ensuring every detail of your card is visible and appreciated, even from a distance.
Some things we read from people who purchased these BCW Matte Sleeves:
- “Perfect for my TCG, collecting & preserving them.”
- “These sleeves are a great value for the price, ideal for sleeving preconstructed decks or Commander decks for game nights.”
- Designed to fit 2½" x 3½" game cards
- Clear, non-glare, matte front
- Matte back
Best MTG Sleeves For Shuffling
Ultimate Guard Katana Sleeves
The quest for the perfect card sleeves is akin to the quest for the Holy Grail for serious TCG enthusiasts. It was a journey marked by relentless searches and trials, and just when we thought we had found perfection in Dragon Shield Sleeves, along came the Ultimate Guard Katana Sleeves, challenging and, dare we say, equalling our top pick!
Made in Japan, the Katana Sleeves ensure your cards are encased in quality, offering perfect shuffling and handling experience akin to the samurai precision.
- Quality Material: Made of acid-free, no PVC material ensuring the sleeves are safe for your cards.
- Impeccable Clarity: Offers clear visibility of cards, enhancing the visual experience for players and collectors.
- Durability: Extra long lifespan, ensuring your cards are protected for extended periods.
- Perfect Shuffling: Designed for ease of handling, making shuffling smooth and gameplay enjoyable.
- Variety of Colors: Available in clear, black, blue, red, turquoise, white, orange, and black to suit different preferences and deck themes.
- Very well made: Made in Japan, echoing the precision and quality of Japanese craftsmanship.
- Price: Can be more expensive compared to other brands, potentially a factor for those on a tight budget.
- Exact Count: Comes with exactly 100 sleeves with no extras, which could be a limitation for those using for their Commander decks.
It was a tough decision, drawing parallels between the Dragon Shield and Katana Sleeves. But the Katana sleeves have definitely earned their place at the pinnacle of card protection.
In every shuffle, every display, and every intense gameplay, the Katana Sleeves echo the precision, elegance, and unyielding strength of a samurai’s blade! You just can’t go wrong with these sleeves so don’t hesitate to buy them.
Here are some things we read from people who purchased these Katana sleeves on Amazon. And one thing to note: The Amazon community echoes our sentiment. With a staggering 88% of the over 3,000 ratings being 5-star, it’s evident that the Katana Sleeves have not just met but exceeded expectations.
- “Absolute butter shuffling”
- “THE BEST YOU CAN GET.”
- “The most comfortable, easy to shuffle sleeves ever.”
- “I sleeve regularly with Dragon Shield and absolutely love them but I feel these are just better.”
- Acid free, no PVC
- Impeccable clarity
- Extra long lifespan and durability
Best Sleeves for Commander
KMC Full Size Hyper Matte Sleeves
For the dedicated Magic: The Gathering Commander format players, finding the right card sleeves that combine durability, aesthetic appeal, and functional performance is important.
KMC Full Size Hyper Matte Sleeves have emerged as a strong contender, offering many features that not only protect your Commander Deck, but enhance the overall gaming experience.
- Quality Material: These sleeves are made to last, offering an extra layer of protection to your cards.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The colors of the cards remain vibrant and the artwork pops, thanks to the sleeves’ impeccable clarity.
- Tight Fit: Paired with KMC Perfect Fits, these sleeves ensure your cards are sealed tight, offering optimal protection.
- Enhanced Shuffling Experience: Though some might have a different preference, many attest to the smooth shuffling experience.
- Durability: Long-lasting and resistant to wear, even after extensive use.
- Pack Size: Comes in an 80-pack, which might be limiting for players who are used to 100-pack sleeves for Commander Decks.
- Shuffling Feel: Some players might find the shuffling experience not as pleasant compared to other brands.
KMC sleeves are a great choice for MTG Commander players. They have a special embossing process employed in their creation that ensures they are less slick and shiny than regular matte sleeves, a feature that many players find appealing.
The KMC sleeves are also low gloss and are less slick than other brands, ensuring your cards are not just protected but are easy to handle during intense gameplay.
Some things people wrote about these KMC sleeves included:
- “If you’re looking for the best-fitting sleeves out there, these are the way to go.”
- “If you’re looking for a shuffle that just feels like heaven, do your hands a favor and go with KMC Perfect Fit inners and Dragon Shield Matte outers.”
- “I like these quite a bit for larger decks (Commander size.)”
- “I loved the KMCs. Build quality and consistency is above Ultrapro and the shuffle is great.”
- Great for collectible card game singles
- Perfect for tournament use
- Low gloss and less slick then regular sleeves
Best MTG Inner Sleeves
Here are (2) best INNER card sleeves that we tested and think you will really like:
#1: TitanShield Inner Sleeve Protectors
Another great option for protecting your MTG cards are the TitanShield Inner Sleeve Protectors. These inner sleeves are used by many players as a method of double-protecting their MTG cards.
Inner sleeves fit inside standard sleeves to protect cards from dirt and dust and can also help prevent water from seeping in from accidental spills. The inner sleeves are a tighter fit, fitting perfectly around most standard sized trading cards.
Once you have the inner sleeve on your card, you can then double-sleeve it into your favorite standard sleeve mentioned in our list above. Again, it’s a method of dual protection for your Magic cards. By themselves they are not quite the Dragon Shields, but definitely a great option to enhance the protection of your trading cards.
- Excellent fit on MTG cards.
- Good value for 1000 sleeves.
- Comparable to MTG branded and Dragon Shield sleeves.
- A bit snug, causing slight bending.
- Inconsistent quality among sleeves.
- Cards might bow when used for some board games, if not double-sleeved.
These TitanShield card sleeves are perfect for double sleeving MTG cards, ensuring extra protection and durability. We have found them to fit well on all our MTG cards and the snug fit helps protect the edges from damage.
Although the best inner sleeves like TitanShield’s can be slightly tighter than other standard sleeves, it is still easy to slide cards in without forcibly bending them. Their thickness and durability make them a practical and reliable choice and they provide efficient protection at a fraction of the cost.
Overall, we’ve had a great experience using TitanShield sleeves on our MTG cards. They offer excellent value for money, and we feel confident that they will protect our cards during gameplay and storage.
A few things we read from people who purchased these TitanShield card sleeves:
- “My favorite inner sleeves for Magic cards.”
- “Titanshields hold onto the card and barely needs any help getting into the sleeve.”
- “Especially for what you’re paying for them, these things are a steal!”
- “They’re my go to and I’ll never buy another brand.”
- DOUBLE SLEEVE: Inner sleeves protectors (a.k.a. Perfect Fits) for trading cards
- PREMIUM THICKNESS: Tough 60 microns polypropylene sleeve for extra protection than leading Japanese branded perfect fits.
- HIGHEST CLARITY: Clear front and back, non-pvc acid free
#2: KMC 100 Pochettes Card Barrier
KMC’s Card Barrier Perfect Size Soft Sleeves are a popular choice among collectible card game enthusiasts. Originating from Japan, these sleeves were made to offer optimal protection for your entire trading card game collection.
With over 2,300 reviews on Amazon and an impressive 4.8 out of 5 stars rating, it’s clear that these card sleeves are held in high regard. 89% of those reviews are 5-star, proving that these are a hit with Magic players and collectors.
These KMC card sleeves are renowned for their snug fit, ensuring that cards are held securely in place while remaining easily accessible. They are especially favored by Pokémon and MTG players who appreciate the added layer of protection they offer, especially when used for double sleeving.
- Snug fit ensures cards are securely held in place.
- High-quality material offers durability.
- Excellent for double sleeving with wider outer sleeves.
- Made in Japan, ensuring premium quality.
- May be too snug, making card retrieval a bit challenging.
- Not suitable as a standalone sleeve for gameplay due to thinness.
- Can be difficult to use with thinner outer sleeves.
Despite their thinness, which generally makes them unsuitable as standalone sleeves for gameplay, they are perfect for collectors who want to keep their cards in pristine condition. When paired with a more durable outer sleeve, they offer an excellent combination of visibility and protection.
A few things we read from people who purchased these TitanShield card sleeves:
- “A snug fit that’s perfect for double sleeving.”
- “Affordable yet of the highest quality, especially for MTG cards.”
- “My rare Pokémon cards have never been safer!”
- “Thin yet effective; a collector’s best friend when paired with a durable outer sleeve.”
- Card sleeves protect cards from dirt, gunk and moisture.
- High quality card sleeves from KMC, card sleeve manufacturer in Japan, the sleeves to protect your valuable card collections
- Great for collectible card games.
Best Art Sleeves
Ultra PRO – March of The Machine 100ct Deck Protector Sleeves (or ANY MTG Art Card Sleeves from Ultra PRO)
The Ultra Pro’s are a top choice for collectors seeking durable, artistic, and budget-friendly card sleeves for their Magic: The Gathering cards. And, although there are other sleeves out there with some pretty cool artwork (check out the Legion art sleeves for one), we felt the Ultra PRO sleeves with the licensed Magic: The Gathering art were much better.
So, when it comes to sleeves with artwork instead of solid colors, Ultra PRO has the best variety amongst all card sleeve manufacturers by far. We chose these March of the Machine sleeves because they have some awesome artwork, but there are many other choices HERE ON AMAZON if you’re looking for other styles of Ultra PRO Magic Art.
- Exceptional artwork quality
- Durable material prevents damage
- Wallet-friendly budget option
- Slightly thicker than competitors
- Can be slippery when shuffling”
- Takes more space in storage boxes
As avid Magic: The Gathering collectors, we recently tried the Ultra PRO – March of The Machine 100ct Deck Protector Sleeves and found them to work great with our decks. The full-color artwork featuring Elesh Norn is vivid and eye-catching, which adds an extra level of appeal to our card collection.
We like that the sleeves are very durable as they are made from archival-safe polypropylene material. That material ensures that our cards remain in excellent condition, without being exposed to harmful chemicals. Additionally, the matte finish sleeves provide a glare-free experience, making it easier to enjoy your cards in various lighting conditions.
One aspect of these Ultra PRO art sleeves that we noticed was that they are slightly thicker compared to other brands (like Dragon Shield.) While the thickness may contribute to the durability, it can also make the sleeves more difficult to shuffle due to being a bit slippery. Moreover, the thickness can make it challenging to fit sleeved cards back into tight storage boxes.
Even with these minor drawbacks, we still believe that the Ultra PRO – March of the Machine 100ct Deck Protectors are a fantastic option for Magic: The Gathering collectors. They offer superior protection and stunning artwork at an affordable price. Plus Ultra PRO has been around forever and is one of the biggest brand names when it comes to card supplies. They have a great reputation in the industry and offer top notch products. These are no different.
A few things we read from people who purchased these Ultra PRO art sleeves:
- “They’re very durable, the artwork is high quality, and the printing is crisp.”
- “Shuffling was no problem.”
- “…thicker than alternatives such as DragonShield.”
- “I think they’re definitely 5 stars. ”
- Officially licensed 100ct Sleeves for Magic: The Gathering March of the Machine
- Features exclusive artwork of Elesh Norn using alternate Black & White art by Kekai Kotaki
- 100 standard size Deck Protector sleeves in each pack
Best Custom Sleeves
Sometimes you just want to make your very own card sleeves. Whether you want to put your business logo on the sleeves or you want to show off at a tournament, there are plenty of reasons to customize card sleeves.
Although there are very few websites making custom sleeves, we found two that you should consider for getting quality custom art card sleeves made:
- Dragon Shield Sleeve Crafter – Yes, our favorite card sleeve maker Dragon Shield also has an option for creating custom sleeves with your own graphics, colors and text. They are super reasonable when it comes to price and you can normally get (100) custom sleeves for less than $30. Not a bad deal at all.
They have a very easy to use online process where you can upload your own graphics, use some Dragon Shield provided graphics, or change colors, borders and text to meet your needs. Check them out.
- YourPlaymat.com – Although a bit more expensive than Dragon Shield’s custom sleeves, YourPlaymat.com offers some great online tools to customize your very own card sleeves. They are more expensive than Dragon Shield, but they offer some premium services to ensure your sleeves come out perfectly. Expect to pay north of $60 for (120) custom sleeves from YourPlaymat.
Best 9-Pocket Card Sleeves
Ultra PRO 9-Pocket Pages PLATINUM Series (100ct.)
We know many people here are looking for single card sleeves, but on the outside chance that you’re looking to get card sleeves for your Magic: The Gathering binder, we have the perfect recommendation for you.
There are other manufacturers of 9-pocket pages (like TitanShield for example), but we will only ever use Ultra Pro 9-Pocket Trading Card Pages for our binders. And you can go with just about any version you want, but we highly recommend the Platinum Series which comes in a box of (100) 9-pocket pages.
As you’ll see below, we use these pages for our many card binders including this one for our Reserve List cards. We trust that these pages won’t yellow over time and will do a great job protecting the cards that we prefer to keep in binders. Check them out below at Amazon.
- SAFE STORAGE: The Ultra Pro 9 Pocket Pages Card Sleeves Platinum Series provide a way for you to display and protect your favorite trading cards, baseball cards and sports cards. Can also be used as photo card sleeves
- PERFECT FIT: Our 9 pocket trading card pages will hold 9 (2.5 x 3.5 Inch) cards per page. (900 cards total) Our three-hole punched design fits all standard binders
- PERFECT QUALITY: Our card protector sleeves are acid free, non toxic, water resistant and offer UV protection. Our 115 micron patented sleeves use a high quality polypropylene with the strongest solid bar welds in the industry
Best Sleeves for Graded MTG Cards
Ultra PRO Graded Card Sleeves (100ct.)
When it comes to protecting Graded Magic cards, you would think that the PSA (or whatever grading company) holder would be enough. However, when you’re spending $10-$30 to grade a card (and sometimes WAY more than that if the card is expensive), you don’t want the slab getting scratched or dinged up. That’s why we alway put graded card slabs into their own plastic sleeves.
Like the 9-pocket sleeves, we only trust Ultra PRO when it comes to graded card sleeves. These fit graded slabs perfectly and have a resealable strip in case you want to take the slab out once in a while.
These graded card sleeves do a great job preventing nicks and scratches on PSA, BGS, CGC or just about any grading company that uses 1/4″ slabs. And for a few bucks, you can get a pack of (100) shipped free on Amazon Prime!
FAQs ABOUT MTG CARD SLEEVES
We typically get questions about the best MTG card sleeves, so we’ve gathered some of the most common ones here for your convenience.
Q. How Do I Choose The Best Card Sleeves For MTG Cards?
To choose the best card sleeves for your Magic: The Gathering cards, consider factors such as:
- Material: Most sleeves are made of polypropylene or PVC, with some offering better durability and a smoother shuffle feel.
- Thickness: Thicker sleeves tend to provide better protection, but they might be more difficult to shuffle.
- Design: Some sleeves have artwork printed on them, while others are just plain colors.
- Budget: Any of the options above will make you happy, but ensure you buy within your budget. If you can afford them, Dragon Shield are easily the best but definitely not cheap. Whatever makes sense for your wallet is what you should stick with.
Q. Which Brands Are Known For Their Quality Card Sleeves?
Some well-known brands that consistently produce high-quality MTG card sleeves include:
- Dragon Shield
- Pros: Very durable, high-quality shuffle feel
- Cons: Slightly more expensive
- Ultra PRO
- Pros: Affordable, large variety of designs
- Cons: Less durable compared to other brands
- Pros: 88% of the over 3,000 ratings being 5-star; Players RAVE about these
- Cons: A bit more expensive than the rest.
- Pros: Excellent durability, great for competitive play
- Cons: Might be difficult to find locally and limited design/color options
Q. How Often Should I Replace My Card Sleeves?
We recommend replacing your card sleeves only if they become damaged. Most card sleeves will last a lifetime so replacing them only when damaged or warped is probably your best bet.
The lifespan of your card sleeves depends on how often you play and how well you take care of them. If you play regularly and notice the sleeves becoming worn, dirty, or sticky, it’s usually time to replace them.
Competitive players may replace their sleeves more frequently to ensure optimal protection and performance. But in general they should last you for many years.
Q. Is Double-Sleeving My Cards Worth It?
Yes, double-sleeving your cards is definitely worth it for many reasons. If you value your cards as part of your deck and as a valuable collectible (often worth quite a bit of money), double-sleeving is the best way to preserve them.
Double-sleeving your MTG cards involves putting them in a smaller inner sleeve before putting them in a standard outer sleeve. This can provide additional protection against dirt, moisture, and damage.
If you have valuable cards or want to keep your collection in the best possible condition, double-sleeving may be worth the extra effort. Popular brands for inner sleeves include KMC Perfect Fit Sleeves and Dragon Shield Sealable Inner Sleeves.
We hope you got something out of our list of best MTG card sleeves. There’s something here for every collector and player no matter what you need sleeves for.
So if it’s for your Commander Deck, we got you covered. Looking to protect some foil cards you just pulled from some booster boxes or packs? Also got you covered!
Thanks for stopping by and as always, keep collecting and investing in Magic cards!